The Community Food and Justice Coalition believes that healthy food is a basic human right. In accordance with the mission and values of our coalition members, we support policies at the federal, state, and local levels that advance social, agricultural, environmental and economic justice through strategies that include:
- Increasing access to healthy, culturally appropriate foods as well as resources to promote equitable, local, and sustainable food systems, and ensuring access to land and clean water, especially in underserved communities;
- Supporting and improving the livelihoods of food system workers, especially beginning and socially disadvantaged workers;
- Promoting an environmentally sustainable and climate-friendly food system that reduces the exposure of consumers, farm workers, and surrounding farm communities to harmful chemical substances as well as preserves farmland and biological diversity;
- Promoting healthy communities through wholesome food, nutrition, and physical activity programming; and
- Promoting and protecting our right to know of genetically modified organisms (GMO), as well as our access to non-GMO products.